Saturday, July 4, 2009

Nascar Honors 25th Anniversary of Petty's 200th Win

Written By: Matt "Night" Rider
Saturday, July 4, 2009

DAYTONA, FL.- Nascar celebrated the 25th anniversary of "The King" Richard Petty's 200th win at Daytona. The 1984 Firecracker 400 at Daytona was a special race for many reasons.

It was the 200th win in Petty's historic Nascar career. It was also the first and only Nascar race, for which a United States President attended. President Ronald Reagan gave the command from Air Force 1. President Reagan arrived mid-race, just in time to see some fireworks. The caution came out with 158 of 160 laps completed in the race. It was a drag race between the No. 28 Hardee's sponsored machine of Nascar legend Cale Yarbrough and the classic No. 43 STP machine of Petty.

Yarbrough and Petty battled back and forth to the line, where Petty took the historic victory by just a few inches over the always competitive Yarbrough. After the victory, the garage was blocked off with black paper, while President Reagan congratulated Petty on his 200th win.

Then the two joined other racers and their families for a dinner of fried chicken. Boy, I would have given anything to interview Petty after his 200th win. On a personal note, I have met Petty once in my life. He was signing autographs at the Louisville Truck Show. I forget the year, but I almost jumped out of my shoes. I was so fortunate to meet "The King". I will remember the meeting for the rest of my life.

Nascar is now building their Hall of Fame in Charlotte. "The King" is only one of many Nascar drivers, owners, and writers, who deserve the right to be inducted. It's awesome to see legends of the sport of racing, finally being honored. I look forward to watching the Hall of Fame ceremony.





No comments:

Post a Comment